Monday 30 November 2009

yewhew.com

Ok, recently I think I've concentrated on the technical side of setting up this website. Now I feel like I need to talk about it from a personal point of view...

Why am I creating this site? It's not all about dreaming of becoming a dotcom millionaire! The main thing I want to take away from this is that I really want to learn how to program and run a website, in order to future-proof my career.

If I do end up making any money from this, be it through selling adspace or selling my domain as a whole, I'd really like to donate a percentage of it to my local hospital's fundraising appeal for a replacement neonatal unit. My son was born premature at the Luton and Dunstable hospital in Bedfordshire, back in June this year. We were lucky to get a place there as they have to turn 20 babies away every month.

He was 10 weeks early and is fine now, but we still feel eternally grateful to the L&D for all their hard work and dedication, so it would be lovely to make a little cash from this and be able to add to their appeal (I think they need to raise £1.7m)...http://www.justgiving.com/nicuappeal

I've started trying to spread my blog around other bloglisting sites, and have also submitted yewhew.com to another internet directory call dmoz.org...apparently they share with lots of others, so will save me some work there. I've also shown a few of my friends and family...generally the consensus is that they like it, but are worried it's too easy for copycats to spring up.

I need to try and be the best and be different in order to stand out from the crowd...at the moment, my only competition seems to be tinyhomepage.com. Theirs is modifiable by the user and mine is not meant to be, so we have different approaches there. Also, mine is a straight link and click, whereas you have to register with theirs first.

No comments:

Post a Comment